Sunday, November 4, 2007

The NJ Sub

Another favorite NJ treat is the NJ deli sub. We’re not talking Subway or Blimpies. A NJ deli worker pours their whole heart and soul into making a fantastic deli sandwich…or at least they taste like they do.
NJ subs are made with the finest of ingredients. First, there is the deli fresh sub roll. Then, they pile on the meat and cheese. The amount of meat and cheese I would put on about five sandwiches I would make myself is how much they put on one sub. A six-inch sub could easily last for two lunches. Finally, there are the toppings. While I just like lettuce, oil and vinegar, and oregano there are a variety toppings that they would be happy to put on any sub.
My favorite place to get a deli sub was the Montville Deli, but when I went there this past August I was saddened to learn that they were out of business. But I am most confident that the majority of NJ delis could produce a quality sandwich that would be pleasing to anyone!

3 comments:

Pete said...

There's truly nothing like a good Jersey sub.

Yo Vinnie! Put some fucking meat on that sandwich!

Seriously, the problem I find everywhere else is that they put one small slice of meat on a sandwich.

Subway is a joke. As are the other imitators, i.e. Blimpe, Jersey Mike's, Jimmy John's, etc.

A true sandwich better have a wad of meat that's at least a thick as the bread.

Everywhere else, it's just pathetic.

It's sort of like, how in Jersey, you never see a lot of Quizno's, Subways, or chain sub shops.

Why would you buy those pieces of dung when you can choose the real thing?

It's sort of like why Jersey has no crappy Italian food chains like Olive Garden or Johnny Carino's.

Who's going to go there when you can have the real thing?

Someone opening up one of those chains in Jersey would be like Disney's failed attempt to open a theme park in France.

Here, Disney's model of wide streets and faux storefronts succeeds, because the majority of America lives with suburban shlock.

In France, where they still have real towns and communities, no one needs the poor imitation.

Anyway, I digress.

Jersey deli sandwiches rock.

Angie said...

Now I feel all this pressure to be PG... but just noticing the trend in your blog I'd say New Jersey cuisine is all about the meat and the buns. We have this place here that makes "Jersey" subs, and while I'm sure it's not the real deal, it's a lot better than Subway.

Although I have a thing for Sundway's Roast Chicken with mayo and pickles. I got it once when I was drunk and I've never forgotten it. Oooh.. preggy craving!

By the way, I like Mary Janes. They last forever! And I think you should add popcorn balls to the worst candy list. They're never fresh and other people have handled them -- double whammy.

Angie said...

all my casserole recipes are mexican: I've got chicken chilaquiles, taco casserole (basically cornbread with taco fixins on top) and spicy tortilla pie. I'll e-mail you some.